The Big Debate

The Big Debate: City Living Vs Country Life

cityorcountry.jpg
We love a good debate here at Dollymix. Anything from celeb culture and gossip to news pieces and research gets dissected.

So, we've decided to make a weekly feature of it.

Kate and I will debate a topic every week, then open it up for you in the comments section to discuss. This week, we're kicking off with the age-old debate - which is better, city living or country life?

Kate loves City Living
City living. Gloriously exhilarating city living. So what if we're not able to take a deep breath without inhaling a nose-full of exhaust fumes? The scent of our exhaust fumes trumps the scent of their eu de cow manure any day of the week.

Work hard play hard is the mantra of city living, and boy do we revel in it. The city is where you get every shop you wish to spend your coffers on, every club you wish to lose your dignity in, and every restaurant you want to gorge your puffy little face on. You see, we're never far from expenditure, meaning boredom is seldom a sufferance. Sure, you could argue that as a result we fritter all of our hard-earned (cough) monies on needless luxuries, but isn't that what overdrafts are for?

As if the above wasn't a winning enough argument for why city life rules all, I have two words for you to ponder: People Watching. A pass time that is afforded only to those of us in urban areas, those poor country folk are deprived of this most satisfying of activities. Where is that man going with that conspicuous looking bag? What are those two girls talking about as they head towards that bar at this hour of the day? The possibilities are endless.

To summarise my point, dear friends, take note from Lily Allen, who chirps of the joys of city life in the track, LDN: 'Sun is in the sky, oh why oh why would I wanna be anywhere else?' Good point, Lily. Why would you want to be anywhere else? I'll tell you why. You wouldn't.

Emma loves Country Life
I like London. I visit it once or twice a week. I love the shops. There's always something fun and buzzy going on there. And some of my favourite people reside there.

But I could never live there.

Living in the country is all about freedom. The freedom to walk your dog in the country and enjoy a bit of peace and quiet. The freedom to drive around with the windows down and the music up, without getting stuck with a congestion charge. The freedom of buying a two bedroom house rather than a shoebox.

Plus, we have country pubs. Country pubs are ace. You can take your dog (who trots in, rather than arrives in your handbag) and enjoy a big plate of steak and chips for a tenner, rather than a tiny plate of itsy bitsy food for £30.

And Lily Allen? She's recently moved to the country to settle down and raise a family. Which goes to show that even the biggest party girls eventually fall in love with the gentle ways of the country.

So, over to you! Are you a city girl or a country gal?

Posted by Emma Cossey on April 5, 2011

Comments

City of course, why would anyone want to bring up children in the country? Once they're board with looking at sheep (about aged 4) there's nothing for them to do.

Posted by: Ellaroxyx | April 5, 2011 11:50 AM

I grew up in the city but moved to the country. It is a great place for kids to grow up. Playing in the woods building forts, fishing in the river and experiencing nature first hand has been wonderful. We can stare into a clear starry night and see stars. Just when we thought we have seen them all we find more stars behind the ones we were looking at.

We wanted to raise our children without a lot of peer pressure and let them have the freedom to be who they are. Crime is at a minimal and I haven't locked my house doors for 20 years. Country life has helped us have a close family. I love the country.

Posted by: Karen | April 5, 2011 6:01 PM

This is all very new to me and this article really opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom

Posted by: Nike Air Max | April 8, 2011 9:13 AM

Well, being a country girl, growing up in Cornwall, going to school in Cornwall, attending college in Cornwall, eating Cornish pasties and drinking Cornish ale, having now moved to the Big Smoke, I can safely say I'll never look back!
Sure, I'll always go back to visit and I miss the sea, but I love the fast pace of the city and the fact that everything you want is on your doorstep, not 2 bus journeys, 1 ferry ride and a half an hour walk away.

Posted by: Jess Markwood | April 11, 2011 5:55 PM

I loved growing up in the country when I was young,but once I reached the age of 14 grew tired with the limited social and cultural aspects of a small town. I've lived in London for over 10 years now and absolutely love it! that said I love the occasional escape to the seaside or weekend away, and would definitely consider moving away from the big smoke to start a family

Posted by: Hannah Freeman | April 11, 2011 6:07 PM

Much as I love the countryside and dream of it when I'm stuck on the Tube, I've come to the sad realisation that I could never really cope with living outside London. Or perhaps Brighton at a pinch.

It's mostly the pace of life, which may be hectic but when it's the norm, anything else feels positively plodding by comparison. And I'm afraid I have found myself saying "this could never happen in London!" (bad service etc) one too many times on trips to rural parts...

Also, have you noticed the price of bus travel anywhere outside London? Good grief!

Posted by: Abi | April 11, 2011 9:27 PM

Posted by: Ecco Shoes | April 13, 2011 11:37 AM

Having grown up in leafy Berkshire I crave for something more exciting. Truth be told I am a bit of a towny and love to shop 'til I drop and love the buzz of bars and restaurants. I feel trapped in the country, but it's not just about me. We have two young children and from the age of 4 and 7 they have been able to go out the front door to play with their friends unsupervised. I know they are safe through very close knit community we have on the green where we live. It has given them the freedom and independence to grow up in a safe environment and not be wrapped up in cotton wool smothered with worry. For that I am eternally grateful and wouldn't have had it any other way....but when yThey have flown the nest I wont be far behind them!

Posted by: Sally Todd | April 18, 2011 2:45 PM