Close Close

Be part of the biggest fashion event of the year ...

It's all hush hush for now but
trust us, it'll be good.

From the team at...

DollyMix

Motherhood

Breastfeeding an 8-year-old: the mother who lets her daughters choose when to stop breastfeeding

Breast Feeding an 8-year-oldI missed the first time this documentary was broadcast in the UK, but after watching this clip on Jezebel, I don't think I could watch the entire thing. Extraordinary Breastfeeding features a woman named Veronica, her daughter she breastfed until she was 5, and her almost eight-year-old daughter she is still breast feeding. The relationship between her daughters and her breasts is, I'm sorry to say, worrisome and disturbing. I don't know if it's just beacuse of how sexualized women's breasts have become in society, or beacuse there's an EIGHT-YEAR-OLD CHILD BREAST FEEDING.

The girls have names for her breasts, fawn over their mother when she gets dressed in the morning, "hate" that their mother wears a bra, and draw pictures of her breasts regularly. Ironically, I'm sure this sounds like most boyfriends we've had in highschool. I know most people are probably going to be like, "Oh you're horrible! Breastfeeding is perfectly natural! It's a way of bonding with you child," but I don't care. No matter what anyone says, breastfeeding an eight-year-old girl is just weird in my book.

Posted by on May 13, 2008

A look at an inspiring family and how breakfast clubs and after school activities have changed their lives

Comments

Not just weird - unnecessary. They're no longer getting any form of necessary nutrient and they're going to develop serious separation anxiety.

Posted by: Alex | May 13, 2008 1:01 PM

I'm all for breastfeeding, but there is an approximate age limit. 8 years old is quite beyond that limit.
It reminds me of this sketch from Little Britain:

Posted by: Cyn | May 19, 2008 6:59 AM

That is very stupid and a bad thing to do thats basicly child molestation!

Posted by: stephanie scott | July 20, 2008 6:52 PM

i just think that a) its abnormal for our society, and b)that these kids are probably not developing propper social connections. they're probably teased and/or shunned by others in their age groups. its not healthy for their development in 'normal' society.

Posted by: oOKayleeOo | August 12, 2008 3:27 AM

It's just totally sick and wrong. The mom and the kids are totally whacked!!!

Posted by: Sarah | September 24, 2008 4:22 AM

Breastfeeding is about bonding with a child, NOT about sex or molestation as our puritanical society insists on brainwashing and shoving down the public's throat. And, anyway, she's not from this country. Other countries have different standards. Heck, in many areas in Europe, people of all ages are naked in public non-sexual settings. In this country, they'd be arrested for "indecent exposure" for doing that other than at nudist places. So, if public nudity is legal in Europe, who's to say that this woman can't breastfeed her children, no matter what ages they are in her country? How'd you like someone from another country telling us we can't or shouldn't do something that we think is normal just because they don't like it?

Posted by: David - closet nudist | October 11, 2008 6:05 AM

aigeee..
got milk?

Posted by: Ohh, nice. | December 16, 2008 10:18 AM

You're going to compare being naked at the beach to breastfeeding an 8 year old? Are you insane?

Breastfeeding isn't about bonding, it's about providing natural nutrition to infants. Allowing them to develop the capability of independence. HOWEVER once that capability is developed then the breastfeeding stops.

Are you going to continue to bond with your child well into his 20's with breastfeeding, God I hope not.

Posted by: Brandon | January 3, 2009 6:16 AM

Hair Clip for Girls
you are babephotoesa

Posted by: asgar | July 20, 2009 12:17 PM

Brandon - Agreed. David your comment is completely missing the point. I can't beleive how fucked up this is. You know something is well and truely messed-up when Little Britain make a skit about it.

I don't understand why this woman would want to have two kids latched to her breasts for 8 YEARS!? And I would be very suprised if child services have not had quite a bit of involvement in this case.

I am amazed she is still lactating!

Posted by: yep. | November 15, 2009 4:30 PM