Hilary Duff: not a feminist or a lesbian

By Catwalk Queen

hilary%20duff.JPGWoman bashing is something I usually try to steer clear of but reading Hilary Duff's Observer Woman interview made me want to open up a can of whoop ass. She starts off by reassuring us that she's not a lady of the night, but thankfully isn't a man-hating ice maiden either: "I'm not really a flirt, but I am a girl. I'm not a tramp, or a whore, but I do manipulate men when I feel like it". Phew! Thank jiminy we cleared that one up! There's a fine line between sexy and whore and god forbid you should cross it... She carries on the drivel with: "Girls bat their eyelashes, and act like they don't know anything in front of guys they like, or give a little bit of eye contact, but not too much, or a bit of touching."

Yeah because most men I know find it really attractive if you act like you don't know anything. I kind of hope Hilary has had some intensive media training that's making her sound like an asinine moron, because I shudder to think that she's actually that dumb. Why is it so essential that young women seem completely unthreatening? If your a young female in the media spotlight having an opinion is as uncool as a drug habit.

I couldn't leave you without mentioning Hilary's piece de resistance: "I'm not, like, a crazy feminist. I think women definitely need men. Like, I couldn't imagine having a girlfriend!" I can't believe she really did just say that being a feminist also makes you a lesbian. Thanks for the info Hils, I'll have to let my boyfriend know. Does this mean that we're going to have to change all our "This is what a feminist looks like" t-shirts to "This is what a crazy feminist looks like"?

Showing 12 Comments

Please wait... loading
July 09th, 2007, at 9:16pm

i think you seriously overreacted in hilary's comments.

July 10th, 2007, at 3:14pm

I disagree. The whole interview, from "I don't believe in having one partner for life... but I really hope I get married" to "Women are definitely home-makers" just makes me cringe. She probably doesn't realise how her comments come across but next time maybe her PR person should have a word...

July 10th, 2007, at 4:35pm

I read that interview too, and what it made be realised (which I hadn't realised before) is how YOUNG she is. "I'm not, like, a crazy feminist. I think women definitely need men." just makes her sound a bit thick really. I think someone told her at some point that feminism is about "hating men" and she just doesn't have the education/curiosity/interest/observation skills/whatever to know or find out any different for herself.

Also, that bit about her liking to "manipulate" men was just weird. If I was a guy reading that I would think she was a bit messed up. All in all, as I said, it made her sound a bit immature/young, and hopefully she'll grow out of it.

July 10th, 2007, at 4:36pm

Sorry - "what it made me realise" - FOAD, I don't have some sort of cold in my typing fingers!

July 12th, 2007, at 7:36am

No, I'm not a fan of lady bashing either but... what a twit!! Yeah, hopefully she *will* grow out of it but when I was here age I was well into my lesbian "phase" and, 10 years later, I'm still in it!

July 14th, 2007, at 5:30am

Once again, another talentless pretty celebrity's ears are blocked when she talks to the media.

July 23rd, 2007, at 6:55pm

having a drug habit is much cooler than having an opinion. look at nicole richie, the olsen twins, and kate moss. Who needs a brain any more?

July 24th, 2007, at 3:59am

"If your a young female in the media spotlight having an opinion is as uncool as a drug habit. "

Don't be silly. Having an opinion is much UNCOOLER than having a drug habit.

August 02nd, 2007, at 8:03pm

August 05th, 2007, at 3:39am

I have to agree, the entire article made me angry.

"Women are definitely home-makers"? Excuse me? I'm not going to go to college to earn a degree in psychology and possibly psychiatry just so I can sit at home in an apron baking cookies for my future husband, who most certainly feels like a great HUMAN BEING (not just a good 'man') even if he ends up having 'less' going on than me.

"Men aren't as strong as women." My boyfriend is just as strong as me emotionally, possibly stronger. Men are not some weaker sub-species that women are supposed to coddle just because they may or may not know how to handle emotions or because they may not have 'big attention spans'. We're all human beings, not magically divided into two different sub-species based upon gender.

September 21st, 2007, at 10:07pm

I tHiNk YoU gOt HiL's HeAd MiXeD uP a WhOlE lOt!

September 21st, 2007, at 10:10pm

I gOt ThAt WrOnG. cLiCk My NaMe AgAiN aNd It WiLl Go To ThE cOrReCt WeBsItE.

Came straight to this page? Visit DollyMix for loads more stories!