Celebrities

Beth Ditto poses naked on NME cover

I know some of us love her, and some of us don't exactly think she's a positive role model for women. But what do we think about this:

bbebeeteh2.jpg

Of course, there are the men who think that women should only pose naked on magazine covers if they look like Jessica Alba. But then there are the women's reactions to this. Some girls on Perez Hilton reacted by saying, "I just threw up in my mouth a little." And there were others who said that: "Wow. That takes a lot of courage. She's an inspiration to overweight girls. Beth, you rule!!!"

Personally, I don't think posing naked for a magazine is a good idea, no matter what size you are. But I'm interested to know what y'all think about this.

Post a comment and let us know what you think!

Posted by on May 30, 2007

Comments

I agree she's courageous and it's good that she's offering an alternative image for women, but why does she have to be naked? How many male artists have posed naked for NME (or anywhere else for that matter)?

Posted by: Keris | May 30, 2007 1:54 PM

Hey, at least the Twang aren't getting their (t)wangers out...

No seriously, I'm quite concerned by the possible questions and hypocrisies being detected and created by this cover. And I wish that the Perez Hilton commenters knew about things that really did make them sick and were 'courageous'.

*Siiiigh*

Posted by: Bridgey | May 30, 2007 3:20 PM

I don't really have an opinion on Beth Ditto, naked or otherwise.

What I do object to is the still blatant photoshopping - even if it is just her skin to rid the cellulite - and the fact that she only makes the cover now she's more well known and not when they decided to name her the coolest person in pop evah!!1!! or whatever it was. I lost all respect for NME a very long time ago and stunts like this make them fall even further in my eyes.

Posted by: SelinaC | May 30, 2007 3:49 PM

I don't agree with posing naked on a magazine whatever size or shape or gender you are. I think youd have to be brave to pose naked whatever size you are, so how brave she is is irrelevant.

I can see what they are trying to do 'kiss my ass' and all that, but there are many other ways of doing it.. if the NME were as witty as they thought they were then they wouldnt have had her naked...

Posted by: Helen F | May 30, 2007 3:56 PM

Anyone and everyone has stretchmarks, she, just liek myself, should look like a british a-z! What was the point in Photoshopping if she really wanted to make a statement?!

Posted by: takeyourpick | May 30, 2007 4:47 PM

what the fuuck

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2007 8:14 PM

I find it in poor taste that NME is flaunting her condition for shock purposes. We all know morbid obesity is a problem in many today’s first world societies, but making a freak show of, an admittedly willing person, is still in rather immoral.

Posted by: William | June 1, 2007 8:52 AM

Some people have praised NME for daring to have a 'fat' girl on their covers - but I think it is all a matter of extremes; would they be as willing to use a girl who wasn't carrying around as much obvious weight, but was still somewhat chubby? As much as they may claim they are trying to break the ideal of beauty, they are really just aiming for shock.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2007 2:47 PM

Beth Ditto is setting a terrible example for overweight girls.

She should not be proud of being obese, its unhealthy and unnatural.

In my opinion she looks almost as bad as the stick thin skeletal fashion models.

Everyone should try and stick to a healthy bmi, men and women.

If you read the article you can see she blames nearly everyone on women's weight worries.
This pisses me off as she's just trying to blame others for her problems. Its her fault that she can't stop binge-eating.

Posted by: david | June 8, 2007 2:36 PM

while i don't care about nme (just another magazine trying to make money) i think people are missing the point, regardless of nme's intentions.
this isn't glorifying obesity. i think very few people will go out and try to but on weight after looking at this like they would looking at some size 2 girl. it doesn't show that beth is courageous.
What it does show is how conditioned everyone in the first world has become. the fact that a version of the female figure is on a magazine and is not in perfect shape is shocking to us and thats just down right silly. you would think in all the time we've had to evolve we would be able to accept even our own bodies, whether they be skinny, fat, lanky, pudgy, unusually porportioned... millions of women have a figure like beth's, to call it disgusting is a huge insult and many could find themselves with a similar body down the line.
I believe happiness should come before health. She may not have a healthy weight but she should still be able to be proud of the most important instrument she will ever have. this is not gloification

Posted by: elf | June 11, 2007 11:54 PM

Hear, hear, elf!!! That is the most sensible post I have ever read and mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Rena | August 23, 2007 9:13 AM

The comments to this entry are closed.